If you are experiencing connection problems with Mortal Kombat X or XL on PC, we recommend trying the steps below.
Included in this article
Steam Region Settings
Your Region setting in Steam informs the game of where it should first look for opponents to match you against. If this is set incorrectly, the game may attempt to match you with opponents that are far away from your actual location. This will usually result in a lower connection speed (called “ping”) between you and your opponent, and can negatively affect your ability to find or enjoy matches.
To make sure this is set correctly:
- Open Steam and select “Steam” from the menu at the top
- Select “Settings” from this menu
- Click the “Downloads” tab
- Ensure that your correct geographical region is selected under the “Download Region” drop-down menu
- Restart steam
If you are playing with a wireless connection you should ensure that you have a strong signal strength to your wireless network.
To check your signal quality to your wireless network:
- Open the Windows control panel by going to Start > Control Panel or by going to Start > Search and entering “Control Panel” in the search bar
- In the Control Panel click on Network and Internet and then click on "View network status and Tasks"
- On the left side click the 'Change adapter settings' option
- Locate your active Wi-Fi connection in the list that comes up, right-click on it, and choose 'Status' from the menu
This will show your Signal Quality and your connection speed. If your Signal Quality is poor (3 or fewer bars) this can impact your ability to play online games consistently. This may mean that your computer and wireless router or modem are too far apart, that the signal is being reduced by walls or floors, or that either your wireless network card or your router/modem are malfunctioning. You can try temporarily moving the devices closer together to see if this improves signal strength but if it does not we would recommend contacting your wireless router/modem provider (typically your ISP if you do not privately own your network hardware) for assistance with further troubleshooting.
Background applications can also compete for network resources or cause conflicts with online multiplayer games. This includes applications that download or stream media, malware, and thousands of other program types that access the internet through computers they are installed on.
The simplest way to determine if another program is impacting the connection of a game is to try a “Clean Boot” of Windows.
This starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and start-up programs. You can find official steps from Microsoft for Clean-Booting your PC here. After following the steps and starting your computer this way try starting the game and seeing if this has any impact on your connectivity. If it does, one of the programs you disabled with the Clean-Boot may be causing a conflict with online games.
- Mortal Kombat X Game Options are Red When I Start the Game.
- What are the system requirements for Mortal Kombat X on PC?
- I am playing on PC and my game is crashing
To learn more about Mortal Kombat X, visit MortalKombat.com or join the community conversation on Twitter (@MortalKombat), YouTube (Mortal Kombat), Twitch (NetherRealm), Instagram (@MortalKombat), Facebook (MortalKombat) and Discord (MortalKombat).
Need more? Submit a new question here, or track and view open tickets.